It’s Mother’s Day this weekend, and no one really wants to wait in endless long lineups just to treat their mom to brunch. Instead, make her this restaurant-worth brunch at home brought to you by our bruncher (and recent culinary school graduate), Emily Caulfield:
Glazed Pork Belly Pancakes with Maple-Whiskey Sauce
- Lean Pork Belly Piece
- 1T chipotle, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3T soy or tamari
- 1T maple syrup
- 1t cider vinegar
- Water to cover in a snug pot
- Simmer, covered, until belly is tender.
- Remove and chill.
- Cut belly into thick slices and pan fry to order.
- Meanwhile skim cooking liquid of excess fat.
Maple Whiskey Sauce:
- De-fatted cooking liquid (see above)
- 2T whiskey
- 2T maple syrup
- 2T diced apple
1. Reduce all ingredients to a thin syrup.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1T sugar
- 1T vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 cup ground buckwheat
- 1/4t baking powder
- Salt cinnamon, nutmeg
- AP flour, as needed (about 1/3 of a cup)
- 1 egg white, whipped to soft peaks
- Chopped toasted pecans
- Whisk all wet ingredients together.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a separate blow (including salt and spices).
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients.
- Fold in whipped egg whites.
- Ladle batter onto a greased and hot grill.
- Lay nuts into batter.
- When batter bubbles, flip over with spatula.