Today, we feature another recipe from our recent culinary school graduate, Emily.
This recipe for morning oatmeal is incredibly healthy, and will fill you up before a big day at work, or if you have an exam or presentation to give and have to be on your game.
This, my friends, is some winning oatmeal. It don’t come from a packet. And you don’t make it in the microwave. It’s the real, stick-to-your ribs deal. Now get out there and take over the world!
- 2T steel-cut oats
- 1T amaranth
- 1 T buckwheat (Kasha)
- 1t chia seed
- 1 diced date
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk or almond milk
- Soak the dry ingredients overnight in ½ cup of boiling water.
- The following morning, in a pot with soaked grains add the almond or non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Simmer until tender and creamy.
- Top with any/all of the following:
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Toasted pecans
- Fresh fruit
- Drizzle of yogurt
- Drizzle of maple syrup
Emily Caulfield is a recent graduate of the Northwestern Culinary Academy. You can follow her culinary exploits at thefatpigs.com.